25 May 2020

Prancing Yet Again in Paris

Remember that time when I said I had some last-minute changes when I planned a long weekend? Yes, instead of Florence, I headed to Paris instead. While France eventually also had a major coronavirus outbreak, during the last weekend of February, they were still relatively normal, and so Paris was a great alternative to Florence for a long weekend. I ended up keeping my originally planned schedule, taking time off for Friday and Monday, to have an extended weekend.

I found a flight that was reasonably priced, departing Friday morning, and coming back on Monday evening. So I was in Berlin Tegel Airport on a Friday, waiting for my flight to depart. And by lunchtime, I found myself sitting in a neighbourhood brasserie munching on some veal's head, as I was waiting for my room to be available. After lunch, I checked in to my hotel which was around the corner, and afterwards I spent the afternoon checking out some modern art in the Centre Pompidou. When I was finished, there was still some time to check out Les Halles, and soon enough I found myself inside the Eglise St-Eustache.

On Saturday, I spent the entire day in Versailles. I took the RER C all the way to the end, and then walked to the massive chateau. There were quite a few people there, though it wasn't massively crowded. After the chateau, I explored the gardens and the other parts of the estate, as well as the royal stables.

Sunday was a great weather for the outdoors, so I started by checking out the mosque of Paris, near the Latin Quarter. Afterwards I headed to the Ile aux Cygnes, as I checked out a replica of the Statue of Liberty, as well as seeing the Eiffel Tower from afar. Then I checked some museums, such as the Musée du Quai Branly as well as the Pantheon. Since it was the first Sunday of the month, these attractions offered free entrance.

Monday was my last day, and so I decided to check out of my hotel, but I deposited my luggage for storage, as my flight wasn't departing until the afternoon. In the meantime, I headed to the Basilique de St-Denis, which was located north of the city. After that, I headed back to the centre and checked out the Musée Jacquemart-André. And after getting some lunch, I headed back to my hotel to pick up my bag, and off I went to the airport to get back to Berlin.

This trip turned out to be my final trip, before the entire coronavirus outbreak engulfed Europe. I am not sure when we would be able to travel again, but I am definitely looking forward to that time, whenever that may be.

Pictures of course, will follow, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a comment